Aiming to create best-in-class experiences that last forever in players memories, a team of Game Industry veterans is building a new AAA Open World game studio in Barcelona.
What we need:
Smilegate Barcelona is seeking an experienced Technical Director to lead a team of highly skilled programmers to perform in the most effective way, fostering a culture that balances productivity, innovation, learning and healthy communication.
We are looking for someone with:
- The ability to operate at high and low level. Capable of hands-on work as well as leader and mentor to your team.
- A very strong understanding of the Unreal Engine and how to expand it, including its hidden limitations.
- Understanding of all game engine systems needed for an open world AAA.
- A deep desire to build up a world class AAA team.
What the role involves:
Working hand in hand with all other departments to identify specific needs and build a structure that supports rapid prototyping while keeping code stability in the long term.
- Coordinate with QA, Build Engineers, Gameplay and Engine coders to define the best coding processes that balances rapid iteration with stability.
- Champion excellence in programming practices, review code and help architecting the most complex systems.
- Communicate with console manufacturers to understand and get the best of the latest generation hardware.
- Continuously monitor the performance of all game systems.
- Coordinate Engine coders establishing code guidelines, code structure and performance budgets.
- Help build up a world class Programming team by being involved in the interviewing and hiring process.
- Be the mentor, guide and leader of your team of handpicked coders.
- Provide meaningful feedback to your team through team meetings, 1on1 sessions and 360 feedback.
- Be on top of the personal development goals of your coders, making sure there is always a healthy environment that fosters learning.
- Excellent track record - credited on at least 2 shipped AAA games either as Lead Engine programmer or Technical Director.
- Experience and deep working knowledge on building Game Engine components.
- Unreal Engine working experience in a modern console environment.
- Innovative thinker with creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment.
- Ability to lead and delegate as required.