What we need:
Smilegate Barcelona is looking for an experienced and talented Senior FX Artist, to join our growing team of developers. We're looking for an individual to develop visually stunning in-game FX elements for game environments, characters and cinematics as well as contribute to the development and enhancement of particle effect systems, tools, and pipelines.
We are looking for someone with:
● A passion for art and making games.
● The ability to collaborate well with the Art Director to develop FX content that is visually beautiful and works within our performance targets.
● The ability to take art direction with or without concept art, maintain a given style across a variety of assets, and to expand that style to fit the requirements of new assets
What the role involves:
● Take on FX problems and develop solutions that consider all variables in a self-sufficient manner.
● Break down open-ended requests into actionable tasks, examine feasible options, autonomously collaborate across disciplines to propose a plan of action, and implement solutions that will satisfy all of the stakeholders.
● Fluent knowledge of at least one major 3D package (Maya, Max, Houdini, etc.)
● Excellent technical and artistic problem solving skills.
● Create a wide variety of real-time special effects using sprite-based particle systems along with pixel and vertex shaders; e.g. rain, snow, smoke, explosion, destruction, weapon, fire, geometry, surface shader, and full screen effects.
● Collaborate with Art and Engineering teams, offering creative and efficient solutions to help solve performance related issues.
● Maintain clean, organized FX and Shader libraries.
● Clearly communicate updates and communicate timely concerns to the production team.
● Current-generation AAA video game platform experience with two or more published titles.
● Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, particle systems, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, texture/UV animation, UV layout, in-game and sprite animation, material setup, and engine.
● Demonstrate a knowledge of optimization, performance, and profiling considerations.
● Can effectively collaborate with all disciplines - game design, production, and engineers as well as artists.
● Very strong technical art background in FX, with a focus on shader writing.
● Experience authoring rendered FX in packages such as the Adobe Suite, Maya/Max and Houdini.
● Scripting and/or visual scripting experience (Unreal’s Blueprints, etc.)
Aiming to create best-in-class experiences that last forever in players memories, a team of Game Industry veterans is building a new AAA Open World game studio in Barcelona, backed by a quality-first market leading publisher and developer. If you are an experienced team player who loves game creation, values autonomy within a multi-national team, and would welcome the challenge of building new IPs and career defining games - get in touch!
OUR LIFE AT SMILEGATE BARCELONA (and PERKS)
- 23 vacation days per year + Christmas Holiday (From Dec 24 ~ Jan 1)
- Flexible Working Hours & Flexible Friday.
- Restaurant Tickets: approx 180 € per month (2.160€/year).
- Private Health insurance including dental coverage.
- Breakfast in the Office.
- Nespresso coffee, organic fruit and other beverages
- Company parties and events.
- Friday beers and the most important....very nice SmileMates
Are you ready to join our Smile-family? We are already excited to have you!