What we need:
Smilegate Europe is looking for an experienced and talented Lead FX Artist, to join our growing team of developers. We're looking for an individual has an understanding of memory and frame budgets, production schedule and project goals, animation, programming and design concerns, understands PBR lighting basics and material authoring.
What the role involves:
- Work with the Art Director to set the art style and visual standard for the team by the creation of art assets, a mastery of internal technology and tools pipeline and departmental production dependencies.
- Work closely with the graphic engineering team to develop new or improve upon old technologies to improve visual effect quality.
- Work closely with Art, Cinematic and Development teams to create industry leading FX throughout our environments, characters, weapons/vehicles and cinematic sequences.
- You are an expert in Unreal Engine FX tools with an emphasis on Houdini FX.
- Proficiency with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics, ribbons, shaders, etc.
- Evaluate and initiate processes and features needed to improve and streamline production.
- Help standardize the workflow and pipelines for asset creation.
- Participate in planning and milestone delivery for the FX.
- Ability to showcase outstanding use of fluid dynamics, timing, animation, color and lighting in the creation of photorealistic, high quality effects for environments and dynamic objects.
- Current-generation AAA video game platform experience with two or more published titles. To ensure a wide perspective on potential methods, familiarity with multiple engines and toolsets is desirable.
- Collaborate with Design, Engineering, and the Technical Art staff on FX pipeline.
- Coordinate with Development Management Team to understand the evolving needs of the studio.
- Mentor a team of FX artists, supporting and promoting a growth mindset amongst the staff.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively - must be open to direction and able to embrace and manage others through change.
- Exceptional portfolio of FX artwork, including significant real-time work.
- Very strong technical art background in FX, with a focus on shader writing.
- Experience authoring rendered FX in packages such as the Adobe Suite, Maya/Max and Houdini.
- Scripting and/or visual scripting experience (Unreal’s Blueprints, etc.)
Aiming to create best-in-class experiences that last forever in players memories, a team of Game Industry veterans is building a new AAA Open World game studio in Barcelona, backed by a quality-first market leading publisher and developer. If you are an experienced team player who loves game creation, values autonomy within a multi-national team, and would welcome the challenge of building new IPs and career defining games - get in touch!
Working at Smilegate Barcelona:
- Breakfast in the Office.
- Restaurant Tickets: approx 180 € per month (2.160€/year).
- 23 vacation days per year + Christmas to the new year.
- Flexible Working Hours & Flexible Friday.
- Flexible working conditions of Work From Home.
- Private Health insurance including dental coverage.
- Team Building Events.
- Relocation Package/assistance and VISA support.
Are you ready to join our Smile-family? We are already excited to have you!