What we need:
Smilegate Barcelona is seeking an experienced Senior / Lead AI Programmer to lead a team of highly skilled AI programmers to perform in the most effective way,
fostering a culture that balances productivity, innovation learning and healthy communication.
We are looking for someone with:
- The ability to operate at high and low level - capable of hands-on work as well as leader and mentor to your team.
- A strong understanding of how to transform design requests into NPC Behaviour.
- Enough design knowledge to interface to design leads in complement and amplify their specs to become a fully workable system.
- A deep desire to build up a world class AI team.
What the role involves:
Working hand in hand with Lead Gameplay Programmer and Design Leads to build a structure that supports rapid prototyping while keeping code stability in the long term.
- Coordinate with QA and Gameplay Lead to define the best coding environment that balances rapid iteration with stability.
- Be the representative and champion for the AI coding team to all other parties.
- Coordinate AI coders establishing code guidelines, quality goals and performance budgets.
- Work hand in hand with the Combat, World and mission design teams to make sure they have the most efficient tools.
- Analyze, validate and incorporate feedback from the team and external user testing.
- Help build up a world class AI Programming team by being involved in the interviewing and hiring process.
- Be the mentor, guide and leader of your team of handpicked coders.
- Provide meaningful feedback to your team through team meetings, 1 on 1 sessions and 360 feedback.
- Be on top of the personal development goals of your coders, making sure there is always a healthy environment that fosters learning.
- Excellent track record - credited on at least 2 shipped AAA games either as Senior / Lead AI programmer.
- Experience and deep working knowledge of gameplay and AI systems.
- Unreal Engine working experience in a modern console environment.
- Innovative thinker with creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment.
- Strong understanding of development processes, workflows, and tools.
- Ability to lead and delegate as required.