What we need:
Smilegate Barcelona is seeking an experienced Senior / Lead Engine Programmer to lead a team of highly skilled engine programmers to perform in the most effective way,
fostering a culture that balances productivity, innovation learning and healthy communication.
We are looking for someone with:
- The ability to operate at high and low level - capable of hands-on work as well as leader and mentor to your team.
- A strong understanding of Unreal engine and how to expand it.
- Understanding of all game engine systems to work with and discuss needs from other departments and generate cost-effective pipelines.
- A deep desire to build up a world class Engine team.
What the role involves:
Working hand in hand with all other departments to identify specific needs and build a structure that supports rapid prototyping while keeping code stability in the long term.
- Coordinate with QA, Build Engineers and Level Design team to define the best coding processes that balances rapid iteration with stability.
- Be the representative and champion for Engine coding team to all other parties.
- Coordinate Engine coders establishing code guidelines, code structure and performance budgets.
- Communicate with console manufacturers to understand and get the best of the latest generation hardware.
- Continuously monitor the performance of all game systems.
- Help build up a world class Engine Programming team by being involved in interviewing and hiring process.
- Be the mentor, guide and leader of your team of handpicked coders.
- Provide meaningful feedback your team through team meetings, 1 on 1 sessions and 360 feedback.
- Be on top of the personal development goals of your coders, making sure there is always a healthy environment that fosters learning.
- Excellent track record - credited on at least 2 shipped AAA games either as Senior / Lead Engine programmer.
- Experience and deep working knowledge on building Game Engine components.
- Unreal Engine working experience in a modern console environment.
- Innovative thinker with creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment.
- Strong understanding of development processes, workflows, and tools.
- Ability to lead and delegate as required.